We have been long time supporters of the Jet Project as well as their splendid Extended Play imprint (which coincidentally is throwing a party in London in October so go check that out here). As such, following on from our previous “Discover Berlin with Luca Lozano”, we have asked this Belfast based duo to give us the low down on some of places that figure heavily in their lives so that next time you happen to frequent their neck of the woods, you’ll know where to go… Ladies and gentlemen, wrap your ears around the beefy tracks below and Discover Belfast with Jet Project…
1. Yello – Situated in the city’s blossoming Cathedral Quarter sits one hell of a venue, Mynt nightclub. Home to the popular Saturday night club Yello and also to our monthly Jet Project parties for the past two years. Some of our favourite gigs in Belfast have taken place here as we often steer the night from doors open until close. In our eyes, this is one of the best clubs in the city with easily the finest dj set up we’ve ever played on (worldwide). Did we mention there is a beer fridge in the booth?
2. Love & Death – A wicked two-storey bar/club/restaurant slap bang in the middle of the city. Think New York loft for the decor with a rude bass heavy sound system in the 200 capacity music hall. Great food, beers & cocktails and a wide-ranging music policy means this a great place to hang out with friends. Timmy hosts his Keep Diggin’ party on the first Saturday of every month – a proper melting pot of house, disco and more leftfield selections.
3. The Bureau – Award winning clothes store that is often tempting John with its seasonal delights! The owners are really on point, meaning they are often the first to introduce any new labels to the city plus their attention to detail in-store, online and with packaging and design means they are providing Belfast with a proper independent store we can be proud of.
4.The Hudson – This tardis of a boozer is only a year old but another great addition to the city. Basically three floors of fun, a proper pub vibe on the ground floor, a house party styled living room on the middle floor and to finish you off a black dungeon techno vibe in the loft, meaning that you can successfully have a range of different atmospheres/nights all under the one roof. We host our monthly Extended Play label parties with our Twitch buddies here and they always go right off. The beer selection is also ace and their chicken wings are the stuff of legend.
5. The Menagerie – Or the ‘rave cave’ as some people refer to it! As a venue, it’s light on frills but heavy on atmosphere. It is slightly of the beaten track but all the better for it and with little passing trade it means it attracts serious musos only. Home to a host of discerning music nights including the excellent Belfast Music Club who regularly put on guests like Nicky Siano, A Love From Outer Space and Tim Sweeney. If we’ve got the night off, this is generally were we like to spend it.
6. Oh Yeah! Building – An amazing creative hub in the city centre for musicians, djs, promoters, indie labels and more, with advice and support provided by people of vast experience both local and from further afield. Its presence has been long overdue and is currently helping pave the way for the next generation of music makers. It also has a great Northern Ireland music hall of fame – a must for all visiting the city with props donated from legends like Van the Man, Rudi, The Undertones and more and also displays a great musical time line covering all genres leading right up to the present day. We even noticed that we got a mention in the electronic music section!